It is holiday season and time to visit family and friends which means for many, long trips in the car. For those of us who don’t suffer from allergies, it is not too big of a deal. We just get in the car and go. For those who suffer from allergies, it can be a miserable time.
Our cars are dust magnets. They hold the dirt from our feet, pollen from our clothes, dust mites get in the upholstery and whatever else blows in from outside.
Before you leave there are a few things you can do to make the trip more enjoyable for the allergy suffers in the house.
- Vacuum the car really good. That includes the carpets, floor mats, seats, dashboards and rear deck.
- Don’t use one of those fragrance heavy carpet cleaners or air fresheners.
- Spray the seats with allergen denaturing sprays like Allersearch ADMS or ADS spray.
- After you have vacuumed keep the windows up to keep more stuff from blowing in.
- If your car is equipped with a filtration system, have your mechanic replace the filter element.
- Keep the windows up while driving.
These are just a few things we do before hitting the road for those long trips. Now if you are the one that is being visited, you may want to take a look at our post about getting your home ready for holiday guests.
Wishing you the best of health