How to Remove Mold and Mildew from Hard Surfaces

How to Remove Mold and Mildew from Hard Surfaces

You want to get the mold cleaned up, but first, it's important to know what you're dealing with.

Molds are organisms that can be found inside and out. They are part of our natural environment. Also called fungi or mildew, molds are neither plants nor animals; they are part of the kingdom Fungi. 

Molds multiply by producing microscopic spores (2 – 100 microns [µm] in diameter), similar to the seeds produced by plants.

Mold cannot grow or reproduce without moisture. The first step in cleaning up any moldy situation is to fix the moisture problem. This means repairing leaks and sealing.

Sometimes, as in the case of a bathroom shower, it is not possible to stop the moisture exposure but it is still possible to inhibit the growth of the mold by properly cleaning and treating the surfaces.

When cleaning mold, you are concerned with two aspects. First, killing the mold and second, removing the stains left by the mold. Many people attempt to do this with liquid chlorine bleach and by accident create and inhale chlorine gas, damaging their lungs. There is a much easier and safer way!

To clean the mold and remove the mold stain, make a mixture of 1 part TrueClean House Wash to 2 parts hot water and dissolve 4 ounces of Molly's Oxygen Whitener.  Apply and wait for 15 minutes then scrub and rinse.  If the stain is severe, increase the amount of Oxy-Boost to 6 ounces.  The House Wash will kill the mold spores and the Oxy-Boost will remove the stains.  If the surface is lightly molded, you can use the VitalOxide disinfection spray to get rid of it.

After the surface has been rinsed and dried completely, apply a generous coat of Goldshield GS75 Antimicrobial Surface Agent. Goldshield™ 75 effectively inhibits the growth of bacteria, fungi, yeasts, and certain viruses on the treated surfaces. 

One spray application of GS75 Antimicrobial Surface Spray is all it takes on many indoor surfaces, to provide an "invisible" protective shield for up to 90 days. You can apply with a spray bottle, a sponge, a sponge mop, or a pump sprayer set to the “fine” mist.

While Goldshield GS75 can be applied directly over-molded surfaces to prevent mold growth, it will not remove the stain.  That is why it is always recommended that the House Wash solution or Vital Oxide be used prior to the application of GS75.  If a chlorine-based solution is used to clean the mold, you must wait at least 24 hours before applying the MX-3 sealer.

Wishing you the best of health

The Allergy Store


Also in AllergyStore.com | Helpful Information to Help You Live Better

Start Spring Gardening Not Sneezing
Start Spring Gardening - Not Sneezing

Just because you suffer from seasonal allergies does not mean you cannot enjoy spring gardening and have a beautiful garden and yard. With some careful planning now, you can enjoy spring and summer full of color without itchy, watery eyes and a runny or stuffy nose.

View full article →

 “Do Dust Mites Bite” is not only do they not bite, but they also can’t bite. They aren’t made that way.
Do Dust Mites Bite?

People frequently ask if dust mites bite. They have skin problems associated with their allergies (such as allergic urticaria) and assume that these hives are bites.

View full article →

5 Highly Effective Ways to Get Rid of Dust  Mites
5 Highly Effective Ways to Get Rid of Dust Mites

Here are 5 highly effective ways to get rid of dust mites and their allergens as well as a few that we don’t really recommend, but they will work. Dust mite allergens are at the center of most allergies and can be hard to beat, but once you know what you’re up against, you can prepare yourself to fight back and win!

View full article →